Equinix has signed a third power purchase agreement (PPA) in Finland with French renewable power producer Neoen.

The ten-year deal will see the colocation provider claim 60 percent of the output and guarantees of origin to be produced by the future Storbötet wind farm.

Amazon wind.jfif

Located in the Finnish municipality of Uusikaarlepyy in the Ostrobothnia region, Storbötet will have a total capacity of at least 95MW. Construction of Storbötet is scheduled to begin in 2023, with commissioning set for 2025.

Sami Holopainen, Managing Director, Finland at Equinix, said: “This deal demonstrates once again that Equinix is truly leading the way when it comes to the environment and our support of the renewables industry, helping our customers become more sustainable and reaffirming our commitment to more sustainable power generation as we continue our journey to become climate neutral globally by 2030.”

Neoen said the renewable guarantees of origin generated from the project will be allocated to Equinix’s locations in all five of the company’s International Business Exchange (IBX) data centers in Finland.

This latest renewable energy PPA brings Equinix’s total capacity under long-term contracts globally to over 350MW. This is the third PPA between Neoen and Equinix, totaling 129MW.

In January 2022 Equinix signed a deal to procure 85 percent of the energy and guarantees of origin to be produced by the 35MW Björkliden wind farm. The following July the colo firm signed a deal to procure at least 42MW of wind capacity from the 53MW Lumivaara wind park.

Jerri Loikkanen, Managing Director of Neoen Finland, said: “We would like to thank Equinix for their continued trust. We have now signed nine PPAs in Finland, three of which are with Equinix: this highlights our ability to support companies in their decarbonization strategies. As a leading actor in the Finnish corporate PPA market, we are adding new renewable plants in the country and are actively contributing to Finland’s energy independence and carbon neutrality. With our growing local team, we will further accelerate our development in our country.”

Neoen owns an 80 percent stake in the Storbötet project, with the remaining 20 percent owned by developer Prokon.

Jakob Kjellman, Director of Prokon Finland, said: “We are confident that the local landowners are as pleased as we are at Prokon to collectively contribute to the production of renewable energy.”

Get a monthly roundup of Sustainability news, direct to your inbox.