Disruption to Internet services in Sudan has returned as the country's conflict continues.
It's led mobile operator MTN Sudan to report more network disruptions towards the end of last week as fighting in the country has led to fuel shortages and power cuts.
"The company fully understands the impact this may have on communication needs and extends its apologies for any inconvenience experienced during this challenging time," said MTN in a statement last week.
This isn't the first time the operator has had issues stemming from the conflict in Sudan, as a near-total Internet outage hit the country on April 23.
Prior to this, MTN Sudan had been ordered by the state regulator to restore Internet services in the country just hours after the operator was told to block the services by that same government regulator.
Fighting in Sudan has continued despite a ceasefire being called, with battles happening in the capital Khartoum plus other parts of the country between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), amid a power struggle within Sudan’s military leadership.
The fighting in the country has led several nations to evacuate their diplomats from the country, including the UK, the US, the Netherlands, and France, with US President Joe Biden announcing it had suspended operations at its embassy.
Since the conflict began in Sudan on April 15, close to 600 people have been confirmed killed, and more than 4,000 wounded. The continued fighting comes despite the announcement of a 72-hour ceasefire by both sides.
The army unit is loyal to General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the head of Sudan’s transitional governing Sovereign Council, while the RSF is led by General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, who is deputy head of the council.
Both groups joined forces in 2019 to oust former president Omar al-Bashir, but have recently clashed over a disagreement relating to the integration of the RSF into the military as part of a transition towards civilian rule.