Archived Content

The following content is from an older version of this website, and may not display correctly.

Colocation provider Equinix has 100% ownership of Brazil’s Alog Data Centers and is integrating it with its own platforms.

Following a cash transaction of US$225M in April 2011 Equinix has owned 53% of Alog, but its newly announced purchase is of the remaining 47%.

This means it can now start integrating the company into Equinix’s infrastructure.

The plan is to extend its Platform Equinix to the Latin America market and create a seamless experience for customers between Equinix's 101 international business exchange (IBX) data centers across 32 markets.

It also gives Equinix the ability to satisfy strong demand from its network, content, cloud, enterprise and financial services customers looking to establish a presence in the Brazilian market.

Brazil is the second largest IT market in emerging economies after China and has the seventh largest economy in the world, according to a World Bank report in April 2014.

Since Equinix established a presence in Brazil it has helped clients including Cloudsigma, GlobeNet, Level 3, Orange Business Services and Telefonica to expand their infrastructure there.

"Alog's complementary business model provided Equinix the opportunity to establish a presence in an important emerging market and meet growing demand for data center services in Latin America," Karl Strohmeyer, president of the Americas for Equinix, said.

ALOG is the only provider to offer data center services in both Sao Paulo and Rio de Janiero, the largest markets in Brazil.

On July 24 Alog announced it had completed phase III of its second Sao Paulo (SP2) IBX data center.

This expansion was completed one month ahead of schedule, after an investment of a reported $22m.

The facility, in the Sao Paulo suburb of Tambore, provides space for an additional 600 cabinets, bringing the total number of cabinets to 1,270.

SP2 is home to two popular online services in Brazil. Search engine Apontador, visited every day by one in five Brazilians and geo-location app Maplink collectively generate 40 terabytes of data per month. Since collocating with ALOG, LBS Group - the owner of the services – reports that it has cut its IT infrastructure costs by 30% and lowered latency.