Telecom services gradually returned in Gaza on December 17 following an outage lasting four days.

Gaza Strip
– Getty Images

Palestinian telecom companies Paltel and Jawwal confirmed on social media that services are returning.

"We would like to announce the gradual restoration of telecom services in the central and southern areas of the Gaza Strip," the telcos said in a joint statement.

"While overcoming challenging and hazardous conditions, our field teams were able to reach and repair the main damaged site after numerous attempts in the past days with the help of relevant international bodies. Our teams are working diligently, within the available resources, to restore services in the city of Gaza and northern Gaza."

The lengthy outage was just the latest to hit the region since October.

Gaza is currently under heavy attack from Israeli forces in retaliation for the Hamas terror attack in October.

Hamas killed more than 1,200 people in Israel in surprise attacks on October 7, with more than 200 people kidnapped.

At least 18,000 people have been killed in Gaza since October 7, according to the Ministry of Health in Gaza.

Since the start of the war, Israel has blocked all but one delivery of fuel to Gaza, so resources have been scarce.

A timeline of the Gaza Strip outages so far

The first outage, which took place on October 27, lasted for around 36 hours. The outages left most residents cut off in the region, while the Palestinian Red Crescent (donate here) said it couldn't reach its teams in Gaza.

A second outage on November 1 lasted for a few hours before services were restored. Paltelco stated that communications services, including fixed, cellular, and Internet were impacted. The company noted that services had been disconnected by Israel. Some people with mobiles served by Israeli and Egyptian providers were still able to get limited connectivity.

On November 5, Gaza was hit by its third outage in the space of ten days. The outage lasted for more than 15 hours before services were gradually restored.

A fourth outage took place on November 17, lasting 33 hours. A lack of fuel for backup generators was blamed for the outage.