The EMerge Alliance, an industry association pushing adoption of direct current (DC) power distribution standards for buildings, including data centers, has certified the first group of products that support its standard for data centers and telecommunications facilities.
The five products are a DC power connector, a 400V DC power distribution system, two different lighting products and a track busway power distribution system. The stated aim of the alliance's Data/Telecom Center Standard is to create an integrated open platform for power infrastructure, peripheral devices and control applications to facilitate hybrid use of alternating-current (AC) and DC power in data centers and telco offices.
Alliance chairman Brian Patterson said screening and registering products for compliance with the organization's standards would make it easy for building owners and managers to implement DC power products, which many say can be more energy efficient than AC products, because they eliminate a number of conversion steps in the power circuits. This notion, however, is controversial and has been both confirmed and disputed by many experts in the field.
“A significant milestone for the Alliance, these first registered products will begin to make the consistent and safe delivery of 380VDC power distribution in data centers possible,” Patterson said. “Now, owners and specifiers can start to confidently access the products they need to build more efficient, reliable and cost-effective power systems for their mission critical data centers.”
According to the organization, 100 member products have been submitted for evaluation.
- The first series of products certified under the data center and telco standard includes:
- Anderson Power Products – Saf-D-Grid DC power connectors
- Emerson Network Power-Energy Systems – NetSure 4015 30kW 400V DC power systems
- GVA Lighting, Inc. – Highlighter HL-DL modular LED lighting systems
- Nextek Power Systems – Fluorescent Ballasts, T8 32W 6-lamp
- Universal Electric-Starline DC Solutions – STARLINE track busway systems