Country missing? Please select your nearest region...
27 February 2013 by Ambrose McNevin - DatacenterDynamics
Server Technology and Opengear announced a complete remote access cellular solution that includes both power and out of band management for both data centers and remote locations.
The combined offering integrates control of Server Technology's Smart power distribution unit (PDU) product line with Opengear's infrastructure management solutions and allows network administrators out-of-band control of systems connected to and powered by those products.
"Power is a key element of remote management. Combining Server Technology’s power solutions with cellular out of band access from Opengear provides total control of the environment," commented Rick Stevenson, CEO of Opengear. Said Calvin Nicholson, Server Technology’s senior director of software and firmware, “System administrators can not only have complete control over their infrastructure equipment connected to Opengear devices but now are also able to control power utilizing Opengear's integrated cellular technology. Not only does the solution provide power control directly, the solution is self aware, allowing devices to take action based on a user defined "rule book,” which now includes the option to power cycle individual or all of Server Technology’s Smart PDUs,” said Nicholson.
Samples of common network management challenges resolved by the combined Server Technology and Opengear solutions include:
· Maintaining complete control with true out-of-band power monitoring and control
· Easily provisioning, deploying and maintaining remote infrastructure
· Reducing time to repair with event-triggered log retrievals and simplified messaging
· Minimizing down time with on-site preventative maintenance and health monitoring
· Improving infrastructure efficiency with Smart M2M auto response and elevation
· Reducing power consumption by allowing for an easy way to remotely shutdown devices
· Ensuring quality of service by escalating alert notifications for protracted outages
· Simplifying remote control with SMS and web-initiated custom local actions